9.16.2011

Berry Trifle

This dessert is ALWAYS a hit, and it consists of only a few store bought components.  I feel like Semi-Homemade Sandra Lee or something, guh she scares me a little.  She's like PTO mom, meets Martha Stewart, meets Stepford wife.  AND HAVE YOU NOTICED HER KITCHEN CHANGES TO MATCH THE THEME OF EVERY EPISODE?!  It's borderline ridiculous.  Plus I always scoff at her tablescapes...  and clearly I have watched far too much of her on television despite my mild fear of her.  I should probably spend my time doing more productive things, like making trifles. 
Because they're delicious.

oh and don't judge my cheesy smile,  this is the best photo of this dessert I had lying around.
  • 4 cups strawberries, sliced
  • 2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 1 traditional size store-bought angel food cake (feel free to make this also...)
  • 3 cups vanilla pudding (Instant also works wonderfully)
  • 1 tub CoolWhip or ~4 cups whipped cream
  • Optional: raspberries, a few nectarines or peaches, mangoes
  1. In a bowl with a lid, add the sliced strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar, stir.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  If including, also add nectarines or mangoes.  Do not add the raspberries until assembling, they get soggy.
  2. While your fruit is macerating (a fancy word for softening or breaking into pieces using a liquid), cut your angel food cake into cubes.
  3. When all your components are ready, layer them in a glass container of your choice.  I have found cake-pudding-CoolWhip-fruit to be the superior order.  Make sure and save a dollop of CoolWhip and a few strawberries to garnish it.
Yields 8-10 servings

1 comment:

  1. Sandra Lee also has a specially themed cocktail for each meal! I'm sure she downs plenty of those before, during & after filming...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...