6.19.2012

Coconut French Toast with Mango Sauce

Alas, I feel like I have been neglecting my dear little blog.  With moving, working full-time again, and being separated from my kitchen, I just haven't cooked as much as usual.  When I do cook, it is to quell my hunger, and half of whatever I made is usually gone before the thought to photograph it crosses my mind.  Not to mention, while I do make a killer sandwich... sandwiches aren't particularly bloggable.  (Yes, bloggable is an adjective, thank you) And I have been eating a lot of sandwiches lately...  As a result, I simply haven't had a lot to blog.  Then, last week I threw this recipe together for breakfast when my dear sir was in town.  It was tasty and easy, finally bloggable. Using coconut milk makes the french toast rich and delicious, while adding a naturally satisfying sweetness.  And let's face it, fruit sauce makes anything better.  Plus, the coconut milk added to the sauce reduces down to to be divinely creamy.  I would eat the sauce alone with a spoon and be satisfied, but french toast tastes much better than a spoon :)

French toast
  • 8-10 slices sourdough bread
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • coconut oil, non-stick spray, or butter
Mango sauce
  • 1/2 Tbs butter (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cup diced mango (I used two ataulfo mangoes, they're a bit smaller than regular mangoes)
  • 1 Tbs agave syrup or brown sugar (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  1. In a small saucepan, melt your butter and agave syrup together over medium heat.  Add the diced mango and soften about 3 minutes.  Then add the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt and turn to medium-high heat.  Cook 8-10 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and taken on a golden hue.  If necessary, add additional coconut milk to reach desired consistency.
  2. In a large shallow bowl, beat eggs until frothy.  Add coconut milk.  
  3. Heat oven to 375°F.  In a large skillet, heat your choice of oil or butter over medium heat.  Dip your bread into your egg mixture and fully saturate it.  Cook in your heated, greased pan for 2-3 minutes on the first side, and 1-2 minutes on the flipside, or until golden brown.  Transfer to a cookie sheet.
  4. When all french toast has been cooked on the stove, bake in the preheated oven 8-10 minutes.  If you like your french toast particularly crispy, flip after 8 minutes and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Notes:
  • I would recommend the canned variety of coconut milk.  The kind in a carton or box is more of a coconut milk beverage and not nearly as rich or flavorful.  
  • If you happen to have coconut extract lying around, a few drops of that is also very tasty in your french toast egg mix.
  • Your sauce does not need butter.  I generally leave out the butter, including it however lends to a very delicious caramel-y depth of flavor in the sauce.  I simply cook my mangoes down with agave, coconut milk, salt, and vanilla and find that satisfying enough :) 

Yields 3-4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...