5.20.2012

Toasted Ravioli

I loved growing up in St. Louis-- It was a very pleasant place (minus the sauna-hot, sweaty, nasty summers...) but by no means am I itching to go back.  One of the very few things that gets me nostalgic for home is the thought of toasted ravioli.  Yup, that crunchy, greasy, delicious bar food found only in St. Louis.  T-ravs (as my highschool buddies used to call them at hot lunch) fall far outside of the realm of food I normally prepare for myself, but when I realized the sir in my life had been deprived the opportunity of ever tasting the delicacy, they were added to my kitchen docket, stat.  Upon heading to the store for a couple ingredients I didn't have on hand, I discovered the Walmart in Indiana actually stocks frozen toasted ravioli-What?!!.  I was set on making my own T-ravs although I was seriously tempted to pick up a box of frozen ones in case I managed to mess my own up... frying food isn't exactly my specialty.  I'm glad I saved the three dollars, aside from frying my candy thermometer in the process, my raviolis far exceeded the freezer section variety, and as far as fried, greasy bar food goes I consider them exceptional :)  If you are familiar with T-ravs, this recipe is as classic as it gets, and if you're not familiar- try them at least once and make a St. Louisan proud.

  • 2 tablespoons milk (I used almond)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • ~20 ounce package frozen beef ravioli, thawed
  • 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
  • Marinara sauce
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • Thermometer
  1. In a large heavy pot, heat oil to about 350°F. 
  2. Combine milk and egg in a small bowl. Place breadcrumbs and salt in a shallow bowl. Dip ravioli in milk mixture,  then coat with breadcrumbs. 
  3. Fry ravioli, a few at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
  4. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with warm marinara sauce.  Enjoy! 
Notes:
  • You can certainly sub cheese ravioli for beef for a vegetarian option, beef is simply more traditional.
  • Remember to let the oil rest and reheat between batches, otherwise your ravioli may be soggy and greasier than desired.

Yields 4-6 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Make him Gooey Butter Cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, gooey butter cookies are now on the docket for tomorrow. Today while cooking dinner I asked if he'd ever had gooey butter cake, and he was like "uh... no. sounds... interesting" I never recognized how unappetizing the title sounds...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...