3.04.2012

Vietnamese Chili Lime Sauce

Growing up I did not have broad food horizons.  I would eat Pb&J, butter noodles, or cheese and crackers.  Not even kidding.  Lasagna was pushing it for me.  I was the kid that ordered french fries at the Mexican restaurant.  You get the idea.  Exotic food was unimaginable for me, but then I discovered the Vietnamese restaurant near my house and it changed my life.  Everything there was delicious, and they mixed so many foods together and I didn't die!  What makes everything Vietnamese so delicious is the marvelous sauces, and aromatic fresh herbs.  This chili lime sauce is a standard sauce that goes with anything from shrimp spring rolls, to green papaya salad, to char-grilled chicken and vermicelli.



  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 Tbs fresh lime juice (approx 1 lime)
  • 2 1/2 Tbs fish sauce
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1-2 Thai chilies, minced

  1. Mix everything together, taste and add sugar or fish sauce accordingly. 
Notes:
  • Fish sauce makes a big difference in this sauce.  I have tried both Squid brand and Three Crabs- and while twice the price at around $5/bottle Three Crabs is far better.  
  • Fish sauce has a long shelf life, so it is worth the investment.  It keeps at least 6 months and I have had my bottle nearly a year and it is still satisfactory.  Keep in in a cool dark place, but do NOT refrigerate it.  Refrigeration can cause crystallization of the... 'fish essence' (we'll call it...)

Yields 3/4 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...