3.05.2012

Mexican Slaw

 I grew up in a 'salt&pepper family'.  No, my parents didn't grey prematurely, rather my mom didn't really know what any seasoning, beyond salt and pepper, was. (unless you count ketchup as a seasoning, she was all over that...)  So, when I was finally 16 and capable of driving myself to the grocery store (yes.. I got excited about that, versus driving to the mall and all the hip parties...) I could finally buy all the cool ingredients I saw chefs using on the Food Network.  Cumin was one of my first orders of business, and let me tell you- its earned a dear place in my heart.  There's something so wonderful about the mildly bitter, but warm flavor of cumin.  It works so well in such a wide variety of cuisines, and brings enough flavor to stand on its own, yet still plays so well with others.  In this recipe, the cumin shines, enhanced by the tart lime and creamy mayonnaise.  This slaw is an excellent side, or absolutely delicious with fish tacos.



  • 1 head of cabbage, cut into ribbons, or one bag ready cut cole slaw
  • 3 Tbs lime juice (fresh)
  • 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbs mayonnaise (I recommend homemade)
  • 1/2-1 tsp cumin
  • Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  1. In a gallon Ziplock bag combine the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, and cumin.  Shake to combine.
  2. Add the shredded cabbage and salt.  Again, shake until well incorporated, and serve.  If you are going to serve it later, wait to add the salt- it brings the liquid out and can make for a watery slaw if it is left to sit awhile.
Yields 6 servings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...