10.05.2011

Citrus Buddies

I stumbled upon inspiration for this recipe on Pinterest, only to go buy all of the ingredients and realize that the original idea belongs to Chex... and is on the back of their box.
And I thought I was on to something...  I however, am incompetent at actually following a recipe, so I tweaked it just a little.  And in my humble opinion- I improved it :)

  • 9 cups Chex cereal
  • 1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 4 tsp lemon zest (~3/4 of a large lemon)
  • 2 tsp orange zest
  • 2 generous cups powdered sugar

EVERYTHING you need (+1 lemon..)
1. In a microwave safe bowl heat the chips, lemon juice, zest, and butter for 1 minute.  Stir well, and heat in 20 second increments, stirring between, until the mixture can be stirred smooth.

2.  Pour the mixture over the cereal in a large bowl, and stir gently until evenly coated.  Then transfer to a gallon storage bag and add powdered sugar.  Seal the bag and shake gently until pieces appear evenly coated- I always add additional sugar because I like mine to be uniformly white.



Notes:
  • Rice or corn chex will do- or the off-brand chex cereal.
  • Mix it up with lime, orange juice, or whatever you have on hand! 
  • This makes cute gifts- fill a cellophane bag and tie with cute ribbon- to really jazz it up you could coat some with colored vanilla candy coating instead of white- in happy citrus colors like orange, yellow, and green.
Yields 9 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...