8.21.2012

Bacon Jam

I know, I know, I'm way late on this outrageous foodie trend.  I've been meaning to try it since I saw a food truck that used it on their burgers featured on Food Network practically a year ago, I'm just an incredibly skilled procrastinator.  I'm telling you, if procrastination was a more marketable skill, maybe I wouldn't be so unemployed.  Since it's not, I should probably start making this stuff in huge batches and bringing it with me on job interviews, because that way even if they won't hire me, maybe they'll call me back for another jar of this smokey, sweet, salty goodness.


  • 1 pound bacon, finely chopped
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon red chili flakes, or less depending on your taste for spice
  1. In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy and lightly browned. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. 
  2. Add onions, crushed garlic and chill flakes. Cook until onions are translucent. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and bring to boil, stirring and scraping up the browned bits. Add the bacon back in a simmer on low heat until liquid is syrupy and thick, about 30 minutes. 
  3. Transfer to a food processor and pulse. Keeps in the fridge for 4 weeks.
Yields 1 cup.

Recipe from i am a Food Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...