12.08.2011

Festive Green Beans

I have a soapbox I admit I frequently stand upon.  I HATE casserole.  If a recipe has condensed soup, sour cream, or any other slooshy, gushy condensed canned wanna-be food I refuse to eat or cook it.  So, come holiday time when green bean casserole is at every event I get a little queasy.  This fresh, colorful green bean dish is my answer to green bean casserole.
  • 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • ~6 strips bacon
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • Salt & pepper to taste

  1. In a large dry skillet,  roast walnuts until aromatic.  Set aside in a bowl.
  2. Add bacon to the same skillet and cook until crisp.  Remove bacon strips to a paper towel, and roughly chop.  Over medium heat, add green beans and garlic to bacon grease.  Saute green beans until they reach desired tenderness (if you like your green beans extra tender you may steam them first to ensure they get very done).  Add cranberries, walnuts, bacon, and maple syrup, stirring to coat.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from heat, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...