2.19.2013

Gourmet Hawaiian Pizza



Awhile back I had the most delicious hawaiian pizza at a restaurant in town, Farm Bloomington.  So I called them up the other day to check if it was still on their menu.  It wasn't.  The girl that answered the phone didn't even know what pizza I was asking about.  Blasphemy.  So that left me only one option... make my own.  What made Farm's pizza so deliciously memorable was the presence of macadamia nuts.  That nutty, fatty crunch really brings a lot to a pizza.  Seriously, nuts on pizza- try it.  Also, since I generally find Canadian bacon disturbing, I subbed pancetta-- a substitution I would highly recommend.  Overall, this is a pretty killer pizza-- I guess I can forgive Farm for taking it off their menu.

Ingredients
  • 14-19 oz. Pizza dough (I use the 5-minute Artisan Crusty White Bread recipe)
  • 1/4 cup pizza sauce of choice (I use jar sauce, don't judge...)
  • Cheeses (from most to least): Fresh mozzarella, fontina, + parmesan
  • 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, cubed (you can use canned, I won't judge if you don't judge my jarred sauce... but I am an advocate for the fresh stuff...)
  • 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
  • 2-3 thin slices pancetta, cooked
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 Tbs cornmeal
Directions
  1. Heat your oven + cast iron or pizza stone to 500°.
  2. Roll out your pizza dough on a floured surface.  Remove your preheated pan, and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Put your dough into the pan, and brush with olive oil.  Bake for 7-10 minutes.
  3. Remove pre-baked crust, and top with sauce, cheese, pineapple, nuts, and pancetta.  Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes.  Keep an eye on the macadamia nuts-- if those get too dark they'll taste very bitter.
  4. This makes killer left overs.  I know... this isn't a direction... but really... save some for breakfast. You'll thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...